Thursday, April 7, 2011

Game Seven: Brewers 4, Braves 2

Box Score

Well this is a most encouraging events. In the span of one week I've gone from wondering if the Brewers would win a game to thinking about the playoffs...and it's only April 7th.

Shawn Marcum's start was encouraging, and after the Opening Day disaster, Axford is looking very solid. I also really like what the Brewers have been getting from Kameron Loe. Barring injuries, the Brewers will have a pitching staff as good as any as they've ever had. Even though the Brewers once a had a pitching staff featuring the immortal likes of Matt Kinney, Wayne Franklin, Ruben Quevedo, and Glendon Rusch, that's still saying something.

What the Brewers need to start doing, however, is get hits with runners in scoring position. The Brewers had the bases loaded with nobody out in the bottom of the 7th and, even though a run was scored, failed to get a hit. It makes my life a lot better when the Brewers score runs in these situations. Today is a perfect example as to why.

I follow the Brewers at work, usually using the gamecast on ESPN.com. When the Brewers are ahead by a lot of runs I have one more thing to feel good about and one less thing to worry about. It's not so much that I want the Brewers to hit with runners in scoring position, it's that I need them to. A happy employee is a productive employee. By scoring runs the Brewers can give me a boost to help me through the daily grind.

So please, Casey McGehee, don't ground into 4-2-3 double plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment