Friday, July 1, 2011

Game Eighty Two: Yankees 5, Brewers 0

Box Score

I'm just going to pretend that series did not happen. While that was not the worst series I have every seen, it's hard get much less enjoyable than that. I felt like I was watching the 2003 Brewers out there, not a first place team. Speaking of that...

...the Brewers' three game lead evaporated as quickly as the lead could evaporate. This may have had something to do with the Brewers playing the Yankees and the Cardinals playing the Orioles. The Crew got raw deal with their interleague draw. The Brewers went 2-7 against the Red Sox, Rays, and Yankees, and I will have something to complain about if they miss the playoffs by one or two games. Raw deal aside, a team worthy of winning their division will overcome unfavorable scheduling. The Brewers clearly have some room for improvement...

...and they are at least showing signs of making changes. Casey McGehee was dropped from the 5-spot in the lineup, which is at least a sign that more changes could be coming. I would like to see Taylor Green called up and platoon 3B with McGehee (Green bats left), though I have not heard any rumblings of that happening.

Back to the game today, I was very happy to see Randy Wolf survive a horrible first inning and give the Brewers seven innings. I'm not sure why Wolf has had the most success against the Red Sox and Yankees, so I'll just chalk it up to veteran savvy.

One last point: Ignoring their 0-1 March, the Brewers have had a winning record every month this season. Going further back, the Brewers were 56-55 from June to October of last season. The Brewers have put together a long stretch of decent baseball. I feel pretty good about the Brewers' outlook moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment