Saturday, July 16, 2011

Game Ninety Five: Brewers 8, Rockies 7

Box Score

Brewers @ Rockies - Saturday, July 16, 2011

I think the above graph provides an accurate depiction of the essence of tonight's game.

The Brewers give us fans the worst of both worlds on the road: They either lose in the most deflating manner possible or win in the most difficult way imaginable. Tonight was one of those difficult wins, but I am very relieved the Brewers were able to pull it out...even though I did not watch any of it live.

I was unable to watch the game tonight because I was at a Mariners game. My plan of avoiding the game as much as possible was doomed to fail because of the good ole' out of town scoreboard. Allow me to recap the highlights of my scoreboard watching:

Bottom 4: Brewers 0, Rockies 3, one out, bases loaded

At this point I was morbidly hoping the Rockies would hit a grand slam so I would have no reason to follow the score. But the Brewers somehow escaped the jam and forced me to keep an eye on the score for until the final out. More highlights:

Top 5: Brewers 2, Rockies 3
Top 7: Brewers 5, Rockies 3
Bottom 7: Brewers 5, Rockies 6
Top 8: Brewers 6, Rockies 6
Top 9: Brewers 8, Rockies 6

The last update was especially sweet because it popped up after the 7th inning stretch at the Mariners game. For the bottom of the 9th I followed the game on my phone, and John Axford was kind enough to treat me to a white-knuckle save; But! it was a save.

I feel good about the win and I will feel even better of the Brewers can earn the split tomorrow. I am very cynical about the Brewers, so I do not predict that will happen. Of course, to the Brewers' credit they are quite good at surprising me. Let's hope they do so tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment