Monday, May 23, 2011

Game Forty Eight: Brewers 11, Nationals 3

Box Score

There is an inverse correlation between how well the Brewers are playing and how easy they are to write about. Part of the reason I started this blog was so I'd have a place to vent when the Brewers are playing poorly. Of course, I can't say that I'm upset when I don't have anything to vent about.

Though Gallardo has been pitching quite well since his near no-hitter versus St. Louis, this is the first time his performance matched the delusional expectations I have of him. Seven innings, one ER, nine strikeouts, and only one walk. It's also nice to see him finish the night with only 102 pitches.

Writing of Gallardo, I'd almost like to see him bat 8th. His career OPS is .661 and he has 9 homers in only 215 plate appearances. Carlos Gomez has a career .641 OPS. I would do this because I think Gallardo is a better hitter than Gomez. That written, I don't think it would make much of a difference.

One last thought: Professional athletes get a lot flak for having massive egos. This criticism is mostly undeserved because otherwise I have no idea how anybody can handle being a professional athlete without going crazy. The Brewers have looked like a middling minor league team at different points of the season. To go from that to looking like a contender requires a mental make-up like that of Dennis Quaid in The Right Stuff. You may come across as cocky or abrasive, but it's either that or withering like Greg Norman in the 1996 Masters. If I had to choose, I'd rather be perceived as cocky.

EDIT: I should also add that Corey Hart hitting three booming home runs was pretty awesome. It was also awesome that the second homer was the 100th of his career. I'd write more, but highlights are more fun: Highlights 

No comments:

Post a Comment