Saturday, September 24, 2011

Brewers Clinch NL Central!

I'd like to point out that the Brewers have won the NL Central in every year I've had this blog.

For a long period of time I did not believe this was possible. When the Brewers were not terrible from the get-go they would tease you for half a season before disintegrating into oblivion. But the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers are a different animal. Consider:

-Instead of collapsing after the All-Star Break they went on a 27-5 tear that put the division away for good.

-John Axford has converted 41 consecutive saves (and counting) and is 44 for 46 in save opportunities overall. Previous Brewers teams were done in my ill-timed closer meltdowns (Coco Cordero in 2007 comes to mind), yet Axford has been as reliable as can be.

-The Brewers have used only six starting pitchers all season. The five primary starting pitchers all have at least 10 wins and four of them have ERAs south of six. It's amazing what a team can do when Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, Manny Parra, Braden Looper, Claudio Vargas, or Tomo Ohka are not taking the mound.

This has been an incredible season and I think there are many good things yet to come. For now I'm going to bask in the glory of having a magic number of zero. Hopefully the Brewers will not have a hangover (literally and figuratively) from tonight's victory and will fend off the Diamondbacks for the #2 spot in the NL.

But whatever happens the rest of the way, I'll have this video to cheer me up whenever I need a boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment