Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Game Thirty Six: Padres 13, Brewers 6

Box Score

Considering that I have a job, closely following day games is not always possible. Today I only had two opportunities to check the score of the game. This is what I saw:

SDP 5, MIL 6 TOP 7

This was followed by:

SDP 13, MIL 6 F

I did not expect a likely Brewers victory to turn into a blowout loss, especially considering the Padres have an awful offense. What to make of the game, then? In my humble opinion, not too much. What happened today is what I like to call a 'Mulholland Drive' game. Much like the film, today's game looked like it was heading somewhere and then took a turn that did not make any rational sense.

A team that's hitting .219 on the season with a collective .298 OBP is not a strong candidate for an 8-run inning, but that didn't stop it from happening. I could try to analyze what happened in the game and I could try to make sense of what is going on in David Lynch's head. I could, but that wouldn't get me anywhere. Instead I'll just restate the gist of the game: The Brewers were down, then up, then down again. The had a chance to sweep the Padres but the bullpen imploded and they had to settle for the series win. Putting any more thought into this game is like trying to figure out why there was a mutant baby in Eraserhead. It's better to just accept that the baby is there and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment