Monday, June 20, 2011

Game Seventy Four: Rays 8, Brewers 4

Box Score

Whenever I watch the Brewers I always keep an eye on what is going around the rest of the league. At one point I noticed that the Padres and Red Sox were tied 3-3. The next time I checked that score the Red Sox were ahead 13-3.

I bring this up because the Brewers are currently scuffling. They are 2-6 over their past eight games and have been outscored 55-26. Part of this is the Brewers losing winnable games (the first two of the Cubs series come to mind), but I think it's mostly a combination of the the competition and the Brewers falling back to Earth after playing at an unsustainable pace of excellent. This optimistic perspective aside, the Brewers need Greinke to come up big tomorrow.

As I have written before, the Brewers have a starting rotation wherein any pitcher is capable of being a stopper. However, the rotation is currently lacking the Ben Sheets/CC Sabathia stopper from years past. Zack Greinke is capable of being this type of pitcher, but he has yet do show to put together a dominant start.  Ever team has slumps, but keeping these slumps short is imperative to your playoff hopes. Let's hope Zack "Cy Young" Greinke shows up at the ballpark tomorrow and gets the Brewers pointed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment