Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Game Sixty Nine: Brewers 9, Cubs 5

Box Score

There are few things I enjoy more than the Brewers beating the Cubs. There are few things I enjoy less than watching the Brewers play the Cubs.

First of all, I hate the Cubs with a fiery passion. Let me explain: Back in September of 2003 the Brewers hosted the Cubs at Miller Park and about 45,000 people attended each game. Despite that high number, I would be shocked to learn that more than 1,000 Brewer fans were at each game. Watching the home park of my favorite team be overwhelmed by Cubs fans sent me into an irrational sports rage that reconfigured the synapses in my brain and caused me to despise the Cubs to the very core of my existence. Granted, the Cubs fans were doing nothing wrong. I love seeing Packer fans take over opposing stadiums, and really, what's wrong with watching your team in person? The answer, of course, is nothing. But it was a horrible thing to see, and because sports fandom is inherently irrational, I feel that being filled with seething hatred was a legitimate response.

To put it another way: I hate watching these games because I really, really want the Brewers to beat the Cubs.

Second, games versus the Cubs are never easy. Ever. Tonight's game is a perfect example of how an ostensibly easy 9-5 victory is actually a source of great misery.The Brewers scored five runs in the top of the 5th to extend their lead to 5-1. Yay! Chris Narveson then walked Carlos Zambrano after being ahead 1-2, then walked Starlin Castro, and then surrendered a booming homer to Jeff Reed, cutting the lead to 5-4. Boo!

The Brewers were kind enough to add four insurance runs and John Axford sealed the victory by striking out the side in the 9th, but not before allowing the tying run to reach the on-deck circle. While the odds of the Cubs winning down four with two outs and two are very small, there is no denying that a 1-2-3 inning would have been more enjoyable. Moving on...

...Tomorrow's game is very important. The Brewers need a victory to give them margin for error in Boston. Should they win tomorrow then the Boston series becomes a matter of not getting swept. God save the queen if they lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment