Monday, June 27, 2011

Game Seventy Nine: Brewers 6, Twins 2

Box Score

What a delightful weekend of baseball. The enjoyment of the Brewers' sweep of the Twins was enhanced by the Cardinals getting swept by the Blue Jays, allowing the Crew to build a 3.0 game lead in the division. To top it off we had an off-day to bask in the glory of the success of the Brewers.

Next up: A series in the Bronx versus the Yankees. For some reason I have a better feeling about this series than the one at Fenway Park. Considering the Yankees lead the Red Sox in the division, have an offense that is almost exactly as powerful as the Red Sox, and a better pitching staff to boot, I should expect this to be a "Thank you sir, may I have another?" type of series. Instead I believe the Crew can take two of three. I will attempt to justify this feeling with the following reasons:

1) The Brewers should be able to score a lot of runs at Yankee Stadium. While the same goes for the Yankees, I'm inclined to believe that you're better off at an extreme hitters park than a place like Petco Park in San Diego. My thinking is that it's better to be able to come back from down 5-0 than having an 2-0 deficit be insurmountable. This may not be based in reality, but sports-related "feelings" don't have to be. Besides, if the Brewers have big comeback in the series I'll be able to point to this post and look like a genius.

2) The Brewers have Greinke and Marcum pitching in the first two games, respectively. Greinke has been a wild card this season and Marcum did not exactly dominate the Red Sox, but they're two pitchers that can shut down anybody...just like Braden Looper and Jeff Suppan.

3) The final game of the series is a day game while I'm at work. The Brewers are due to win under those "conditions." Like I said, these points don't have to make sense.

All of that said, I expect the Brewers to take one of three but show more friskiness than they did against the Red Sox. Let's see if I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment